Homemade Cake Flour also known as DIY Cake Flour Substitute, is quick and easy to make with just two ingredients.
It’s a key ingredient in light and tender cakes.
Sometimes when I make my Banana Bread, I’ll substitute 1/4 cup of cake flour for all-purpose flour. Yes, I use both all-purpose and cake flour. The lighter texture is delicious.
WHAT IS CAKE FLOUR?
Cake flour is a fine-textured flour with a low protein content.
This means less gluten forms when it’s mixed with liquids.
WHAT IS CORN STARCH?
Homemade Cake Flour is made with all-purpose flour and corn starch.
Corn starch is made from the endosperm found at the center of the corn kernel.
The starches inside the endosperm are removed, rinsed, dried, and milled into a fine, chalky white powder called corn starch.
Although it has a variety of uses, it’s most commonly used as a thickener for gravies, sauces, soups, and stews.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CORN STARCH AND FLOUR?
Flour is made from wheat. Corn starch is made from corn and only contains carbohydrates (no protein). For this reason, it is a gluten-free product.
In gluten-free recipes, cornstarch is often paired with non-wheat flour.
Flour and corn starch can be used together in cakes because the corn starch softens the flour to create the best texture and crumb.
CAKE FLOUR STORAGE TIP
Pour cake flour into a zippered bag. If you prefer, pour it directly into the container.
Place zippered bag in a container. Seal shut with an airtight lid.
Tape a written label on the container so you will know what’s in it.
Store in a cool, dry place.
Be sure to check out my recipe for Homemade Self-Rising Flour.
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit popular online nutritional calculator, myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Homemade Cake Flour
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 measuring spoon (tablespoon)
- 1 sifter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Pour 1 cup of all-purpose flour into a medium bowl.
- REMOVE two tablespoons of flour (each leveled with smooth end of a knife). Return to the container.
- Add two tablespoons of corn starch (each leveled with smooth end of a knife).
- Place another medium bowl on counter. Hold sifter over the bowl. Pour in flour and corn starch mixture. Sift to evenly combine.
- If not using immediately, pour sifted Homemade Cake Flour into a zippered bag. This step is optional. If preferred, pour flour directly into a container before sealing with an airtight lid.
- Place sealed bag into a medium sized container. Cover with an airtight lid.
- Store in a cool, dry place. Will keep for up to 2 months in a cool kitchen.
- This recipe makes 1 cup of Homemade Cake Flour.