Homemade Banana Bread is a tender, moist dessert loaded with banana flavor.
Easy to make from scratch with simple ingredients.
Although delicious warm, tastes much better after 24 hours in the fridge.
EDITOR’S NOTE (December 11, 2022): Changed name from Homemade Banana Bread to Banana Bread. Added nutritional facts.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED). I have not been paid to endorse products pictured on this page. Delighted to share the ingredients I purchased and used to make this delicious recipe.
This thoroughly baked, warm banana bread was made with dark-mushy overripe bananas.
Overripe Bananas add moisture and flavor to Homemade Banana Bread.
The best bananas to use are very soft with brown spots.
TASTES BETTER AFTER 24 HOURS IN FRIDGE
Although warm banana bread is good, it tastes even better after 24 hours in the fridge.
Cool banana bread. Wrap in foil or place in a container and seal shut. Refrigerate 24 hours. The flavors meld together. Tastes amazing.
BAKING SODA TIP
A key ingredient in Homemade Banana Bread is fresh baking soda.
If the baking soda has been sitting in the pantry for a month or two, test it to make sure it’s effective… before using in the recipe.
Drop 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar.
A vigorous fizzle means it’s fresh and ready to use.
Do not use if it fizzes lightly or not at all.
Serve with a pineapple ring and a dollop of cold Cool Whip.
Also pairs well with crushed pineapples and creamy vanilla ice cream.
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit not popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator. No need to type each ingredient.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour sifted, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar Use 3/4 cup for more sweetness.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium overripe bananas, mashed Very soft, dark brown bananas are best.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter (not margarine) not margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- vegetable oil cooking spray Or grease loaf pan with unsalted butter or vegetable oil.
- 1 overripe banana, sliced lengthwise optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium size bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add sugar and stir until well combined.
- Add vanilla, mashed bananas, melted butter (unsalted), beaten egg, and chopped walnuts (if using). Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Thoroughly grease bottom and sides of a loaf pan (8 x 5 x 3) with vegetable oil cooking spray, vegetable oil, or butter.
- Pour in batter. Place two banana slice on top. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Although delicious warm, tastes much better after 24 hours in the fridge.
- After baking, cool completely. Place in sealed container or zippered freezer bag. Refrigerate overnight. Slice and serve cold!