Cornbread Sandwich contains fresh smoky turnip greens, tomato and onion sprinkled with salt and black pepper, stuffed in homemade cornbread.
Eat with a fork or spoon.
This creative main dish is hearty and delicious.
Perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner.
CLICK HERE TO PIN ON PINTEREST.
EDITOR’S NOTE (May 10, 2023): I posted this recipe for the first time on March 20, 2020. Today, I added one new photo and nutritional facts.
My Homemade Self-Rising Cornbread with a thoroughly baked, firm crust is best for this sandwich because it holds the filling without turning mushy.
I suggest using my recipe.
THE SMOKY TURNIP GREENS
Drain the pot liquor from the Smoky Turnip Greens into a small container before placing on the cornbread.
Use the savory pot liquor as a dip. DELISH.
HOW TO MAKE A CORNBREAD SANDWICH
Cut in half a large slice of cornbread.
Arrange drained turnip greens on bottom half.
Use the juice from cooked turnip greens (also known as pot liquor)
as a dip. Tastes GREAT.
Top with a slice of onion and tomato.
Sprinkle with salt and ground black pepper (optional).
Place remaining half of cornbread on top.
Serve immediately. Eat with a fork and/or spoon.
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit popular online nutritional calculator myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
- 6 slices baked cornbread sliced into wedges or squares
- slices tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked turnip greens See my recipe for Smoky Turnip Greens.
- 6 slices yellow onion Or use chopped onions.
- hot sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup pot liquor for dipping
- Cut a hot pan of baked cornbread into 6 wedges or squares.
- Slice open.
- Add a layer of warm cooked/drained turnip greens (or collard greens) to each wedge.
- Top with a sliced tomato, a sliced onion. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper and a dash of hot sauce (if using).
- Serve sandwich with a small cup of pot liquor for dipping.
- Serve immediately.
6 thoughts on “Cornbread Sandwich”
Looks good but what is pot liquor?
Diane, pot liquor is a popular name for the “soup” in the greens. Thank you for the compliment and for visiting my blog. Please come again!
Pot liquor and cornbread is a meal all to its own.
Patricia, yes it sure is!
This was AMAZING! Thankyou!
You’re very welcome. Delighted to know you enjoyed it!