Potato Salad contains fork-tender white potatoes, sweet salad cubes, chopped onions, and boiled eggs in a creamy sauce.
It is a satisfying, hearty side dish.
Easy to make with simple ingredients.
CLICK HERE TO PIN ON PINTEREST.
EDITOR’S NOTE (December 27, 2021): Added four new photos. Updated recipe and instructions.
DISCLOSURE (SPONSORED): When I posted this recipe on my blog in July 2018, I used a complimentary jar of sweet salad cubes provided by Mt. Olive Pickles.
I contacted the company and requested several jars. A few days later, they arrived.
I have not been paid to endorse the pickles nor any of the other pictured products.
All comments are my own.
HARD BOILED EGGS
My Smooth Hard Boiled Eggs are excellent in Potato Salad.
If the potatoes are allowed to boil until soft instead of fork-tender, they can still be used to make potato salad.
THE SWEET SALAD CUBES
USE FORK-TENDER POTATOES
Potatoes should be boiled until fork tender.
Boiling time will depend on thickness of each potato.
Check them every 12 to 15 minutes to prevent overcooking.
Make the creamy dressing with either mayo or Miracle Whip.
Just a matter of personal preference.
THE YELLOW MUSTARD
Like multitudes of Potato Salad lovers, I absolutely must have yellow mustard in mine. LOVE the wonderful tang it provides. Add by the teaspoon until satisfied with the taste.
USE SWEET SALAD CUBES OR SWEET RELISH
Both sweet salad cubes and sweet relish contain cucumbers, red peppers, and the same seasonings.
The difference is size and texture. Sweet relish has a fine/smooth texture. Sweet salad cubes are crisp and larger.
You’re invited to check out my tasty Dill Pickle Potato Salad.
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
- 6 Russet potatoes
- water for boiling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt add to boiling water
- 3 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped or red onion
- 2 tablespoons sweet salad cubes or sweet relish
- 1/2 tablespoon jarred pimentos (optional) chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard add more or less as desired
- salt to taste
- coarse ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika for garnish optional
- Thoroughly wash potatoes. Do not peel.
- Place washed potatoes in bottom of a large saucepan. Cover with water. Add salt.
- Simmer over medium-high heat until potatoes are fork tender (not hard/crunchy). Boiling time depends on thickness of potatoes. Check regularly. If the potatoes do become mushy, they can still be used to make Potato Salad.
- Drain water from fork-tender potatoes. Allow to cool.
- Peel skin off each potato. Chop into small pieces.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine chopped potatoes, chopped hard boiled eggs, chopped onions, sweet salad cubes (or sweet relish), and pimentos (if using).
- Add mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip) by the tablespoon until satisfied with creamy texture. Add mustard by the teaspoon until satisfied with taste. Season with salt and coarse ground black pepper. Stir together until well combined.
- Sprinkle top of prepared potato salad with paprika (if using). This step is optional.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Although delicious warm, it tastes better after 24 hours in the fridge. Place potato salad in a container and seal shut with an airtight lid or foil. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
9 thoughts on “Potato Salad”
Looks and sounds yummy!!! Minus egg, only because I’m alleric. Bummer! Will definitely try this recipe!!
Thank you! I’ve made it without eggs. Delicious!!
I make mine exactly like this except I use celery
Hi Louvenia! Celery is good, adds flavor and color. Thank you for visiting. Please come again. Happy holidays!
I make my potato salad the same way except I add green peppers and celery both chopped.
Hi Carolyn! Love your ingredients. Both are tasty and add pretty color!
I’m from Bermuda, we make potato salad basically the same only we add tin peas and carrots. It is delicious!!
Eggs at least 8 or more
Finely chopped onions
Salt and pepper to taste.
Mayo ( thinned with a little water )
Parsley fresh chopped fine
Peas and carrots. Or just green peas
Stir with fork til combined.
Try this recipe
Serve and enjoy.
I love green onion also..
Hi Sarai! Green onions are excellent in potato salad. They also add splashes of pretty green color.
Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Happy New Year!