Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting is creamy with a delicious tangy-sweet taste.
Very easy to make with just 4 ingredients.
SWEETEN TO YOUR LIKING
Although the recipe calls for 3 cups of confectioners sugar, add 1 suggest adding one cup at a time.
After combining ingredients with a hand held mixer, taste a sample.
Add more confectioners sugar (aka powdered sugar) until satisfied with the taste.
I used 1-1/2 cups because I prefer “slightly” sweet frosting.
HELPFUL PREPARATION TIPS
Make sure the cream cheese and unsalted butter are VERY soft before mixing together. This will help make the frosting smooth.
Tiny lumps in the frosting are okay. Still tastes great in my opinion.
Use a hand-held mixture to thoroughly combine ingredients until preferred smoothness.
Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting ready to use.
Made-from-scratch cream cheese frosting is a superb finish on banana bread, red velvet mini Bundt cakes, carrot cake, and vanilla cake.
Stack two Mini Red Velvet Bundt Cakes in a dessert bowl.
Spread frosting in the middle and on top.
Calories and nutritional information not included with recipes on this site.
A popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened I used full fat.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened not margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar divided
- In a medium bowl, combine SOFTENED cream cheese (two 8-ounce packages) and 1/2 cup of SOFTENED unsalted butter with a hand held mixer.
- Combine until creamy. Small lumps are okay in my opinion.
- Add vanilla and 1 cup of confectioners sugar. Stir together with a large spoon OR use hand held mixer.
- Taste a sample. Stir in 1 additional cup of confectioners sugar. Taste a sample. Add remaining cup of confectioner's sugar if desired.
- Makes about 3 cups.
- Store frosting in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 5 days. When ready to use, sit on counter until room temperature. Stir before using.