Cheese Eggs are cooked in a hot skillet with melted butter.
Sliced cheddar cheese is melted on top of the hot eggs.
Hearty and delicious.
Quick to make with simple ingredients.
Editor’s Note (August 31, 2022): Updated info to make it easier to understand.
THE CHEDDAR CHEESE
Use sliced or shredded cheddar cheese.
I prefer to slice (or shred) from a block of cheese simply because it tastes better than store-bought sliced (or shredded) cheese (in my opinion).
This cooking tip is the result of my personal experiment in the kitchen while making breakfast.
While frying eggs in hot skillet, fold in half. Place three thin slices of cheese across the top.
Turn the heat off. Fold eggs in half one more time.
Serve immediately. The heat will melt the cheese.
Make this recipe the night before. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate. Warm in the microwave on high for 30 seconds (no longer than 1 minute). Serve immediately.
Calories and nutritional information not included with recipes on this site.
A popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk whole or 2%
- 1/4 teaspoon salt more or less as preferred
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper or white pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter margarine or olive oil
- 3 each thin slices of cheddar cheese or 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In medium size bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, black pepper, and salt until well combined.
- Add 2 tablespoons unsalted butter to a 10 or 12-inch skillet. Melt over LOW HEAT until butter melts. This will take about 1 minute.
- Pour egg mixture into middle of pan. This forces the butter to the edges of the mixture where it's needed.
- When edges start to turn solid (2-3 minutes), use a spatula to gently fold eggs from outside edges into the center. Keep folding until no more liquid remains. Scrambled eggs will be soft and fluffy. For firmer eggs, allow to cook a minute or two longer.
- Immediately remove skillet from heat. Quickly place 3 thin slices of cheese over top of the eggs. Transfer Cheese and Eggs to a warm plate. Rest eggs for one minute to finish cooking before serving. Hot eggs will melt the cheese.
- HELPFUL TIPS: To make scrambled eggs with a brown crust, cook a minute longer. They will be firm instead of soft and fluffy. To keep scrambled eggs hot, serve on a warm plate.