Smoked Sausage is a savory main dish that’s fairly easy to make.
Enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner sandwiched between buttery toast
Consider slathering with yellow mustard and a generous scoop of sweet relish.
Also good with your favorite dinner rolls.
WHAT IS SMOKED SAUSAGE?
It’s made of ground meat, herbs, and spices packed into casings and smoked.
Although most varieties are sold cooked.
Specialty butchers also produce lightly smoked fresh sausages.
Kielbasa and Andouille are popular varieties.
BEEF, CHICKEN, PORK, TURKEY
Smoked sausage is available in beef or a combination of chicken, pork, and turkey.
INSTRUCTIONS PRINTED ON PACKAGE
According to package instructions, rinse sausage, place in skillet, cover with water. Place a lid on top and simmer 8 to 10 minutes. Watch closely so water will not evaporate
I prefer to drain and discard the water because it contains sodium from the sausage. If it’s allowed to evaporate, some of it will be absorbed in the sausage.
SIMMER TO REDUCE SODIUM
Simmering before frying will drastically reduce sodium. I don’t know exactly how much. I do know the sausage is not very salty as compared to NOT simmering before frying.
I’ve fried smoked sausage before simmering to reduce sodium content.
It is too salty for me. Cannot eat it.
Using a knife, I slice the casing side of the sausage to help water penetrate while cooking. The even distribution throughout the meat gets rid of sodium.
After simmering, drain and discard the “milky-looking-sodium” water.
Fry sausage over medium heat until it has a dark brown color with charcoal-like edges.
Serve in a toasted bun drizzled with yellow mustard and relish.
Sprinkle top with French fried onions for extra flavor and crunch (bottom pic).
In a toasted hotdog bun slathered with sweet relish, yellow mustard
and topped with crumbled French fried onions.
THE BREAKFAST SANDWICH
Sandwich smoked sausage and a fried egg between two slices of wheat toast.
Serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 1 package (8 ounces) smoked sausage beef, chicken, pork or turkey
- water for boiling Use to cover sausage in skillet.
- yellow mustard (optional)
- sweet relish (optional)
- French fried onions For garnish (optional).
- Rinse sausage in warm water. Slice sausage lengthwise.
- Make small vertical cuts on casing side to help water penetrate while cooking. This step is optional.
- Place prepared sausage in a 12" skillet. Cover with water. Place lid on top.
- Simmer 8 minutes over medium heat. Watch closely so water will not disappear. Drain the water which contains sodium from the sausage. After draining water, remove sausage. Wipe HOT skillet with a clean/thick towel.
- Return drain sausage to skillet. Fry over low-medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until brown crust forms (this step is optional).
- Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.