Broccoli Rice Casserole is a hearty main dish that contains broccoli and chicken in a creamy cheese sauce.
This family favorite is easy to make with simple ingredients.
If desired, omit the chicken and serve as a side dish (popular with holiday meals).
EDITOR’S NOTE (October 9, 2022): I posted this recipe for the first time on December 7, 2020. Today, I updated the recipe and instructions.
I discovered the original recipe on Allrecipes. However, I added my own twists to create this heart side or main dish. Used regular rice instead of instant. Used milk instead of water and shredded a block of cheddar cheese instead of using American.
This recipe calls for 2 boxes (10.8 ounces each) of frozen chopped broccoli. Prepare according to instructions. Use fresh/cooked broccoli if desired.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
TOP WITH SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE
Sprinkle top of prepared casserole with shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes OR until dish is bubbly, and cheese is melted.
Watch closely to prevent burning.
Serve as a main dish.
Also makes a good side dish (minus chicken). Popular with holiday dinners.
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit popular online nutritional calculator myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 3 cups cooked white rice Or wild rice cooked according to instructions on package.
- 2 boxes (10.8 ounces each) frozen broccoli Cooked according to instructions on package.
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) cream of chicken soup
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk Or use 2% milk.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- salt to taste
- coarse ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter To grease baking dish.
- 3-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese Mild, medium or sharp. I used medium.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare frozen broccoli according to instructions on package.
- Prepare rice according to instructions on package.
- In large saucepan, combine condensed cream of chicken soup, condensed cream of mushroom soup with 1-1/4 cups of milk. Add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Turn on low heat. Stir constantly until cheese is melted.
- Over cheese has melted, remove from heat and cover with a lid to keep warm.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter. Add chopped onions. Stir constantly until onions are translucent. About 2-3 minutes.
- Pour translucent onions in a large mixing bowl. Add cooked broccoli, cooked rice (white or wild), cheese mixture, preferred amounts of salt and coarse ground black pepper.
- Stir until well combined.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cover top remaining 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes OR until dish is bubbly, and cheese is melted. Cooking time may vary based on oven.
- Serve hot.