EDITOR’S NOTE (April 18, 2019): Texted edited for clarity.
Watermelon Lemonade contains chilled watermelon chunks in sweetened lemonade. Cold and refreshing! Perfect treat to beat summer’s heat. Sip with a straw. Eat cold fruit with a spoon.
Watermelons contain solid seeds and soft/translucent seeds which are the “coatings of seeds” that haven’t matured. I didn’t remove them for this recipe because there are so many. Still delicious.
- 5 cups red watermelon, seedless and chilled
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 3-1/2 cups cold water
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice about 4 to 5 lemons, seeds removed
- ice cubes or crushed ice
- sliced lemons for garnish (optional)
- sliced watermelon for garnish (optional)
- Place watermelon in a lidded container. Leave in freezer for 30 minutes to an hour OR until chilled (not frozen). This step is optional. If preferred, skip and continue with instructions.
- Combine 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a large saucepan on top of stove. Stir until dissolved over medium-high heat. About 3 to 5 minutes. Add cold water and lemon juice. Stir together. Set aside.
- Blend watermelon until slightly chunky. Or, smooth if preferred. Pour into a large pitcher or punch bowl. Add lemonade. Stir together. Taste. If desired, add more of each ingredient until satisfied.
- Fill glasses with crushed ice before adding watermelon lemonade. Serve immediately.