EDITOR’S NOTE (April 18, 2019): Texted edited for clarity.
Watermelon Lemonade contains chilled watermelon chunks in sweetened lemonade. Cold and refreshing! Perfect treat to beat summer’s heat. Sip with a straw. Eat cold fruit with a spoon.
Watermelons contain solid seeds and soft/translucent seeds which are the “coatings of seeds” that haven’t matured. I didn’t remove them for this recipe because there are so many. Still delicious.
Chilled watermelon chunks in sweetened lemonade. Cold and refreshing. Perfect treat to beat summer's heat. Recipe and photography by Beverly Davis for CornbreadMillionaire.com.
- 5 cups red watermelon, seedless and chilled
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 3-1/2 cups cold water
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice about 4 to 5 lemons, seeds removed
- ice cubes or crushed ice
- sliced lemons for garnish (optional)
- sliced watermelon for garnish (optional)
- Place watermelon in a lidded container. Leave in freezer for 30 minutes to an hour OR until chilled (not frozen). This step is optional. If preferred, skip and continue with instructions.
- Combine 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a large saucepan on top of stove. Stir until dissolved over medium-high heat. About 3 to 5 minutes. Add cold water and lemon juice. Stir together. Set aside.
- Blend watermelon until slightly chunky. Or, smooth if preferred. Pour into a large pitcher or punch bowl. Add lemonade. Stir together. Taste. If desired, add more of each ingredient until satisfied.
- Fill glasses with crushed ice before adding watermelon lemonade. Serve immediately.
Instead of using ice, chill watermelon lemonade for one hour before serving.