THE breakfast for winners who refuse to quit! My energy level increases after I eat a generous serving. I get a LOT of work done.
Delighted to share my delicious warm breakfast cereal recipe with you. Tastes amazing.
Tender quinoa (pronounced KEEN-WAH not kwin-OH-ah) soaked in sweetened condensed milk has a pleasant nutty taste. Serve hot or warm. I LOVE hot food. However, I must allow it to cool until warm to safely enjoy it.
This breakfast cereal is easy to make with a few simple ingredients. Prepared and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes. Perfect for busy mornings.
Quinoa is 100% whole grain, non-GMO, gluten-free, and is considered a “super food” due to a high nutritional content.
Quinoa is a complete protein, meaning it contains all nine of the essential amino acids, that cannot be made by the body. They must come from food.
Although quinoa is cooked and eaten like many other grains, botanically, it’s a relative of spinach, beets and chard.
The seed is the part we eat and that’s why quinoa is gluten-free. The leaves are also edible! How awesome is that?!
According to the whole grains council, there are roughly 120 known varieties of quinoa. The most common types of quinoa are white, red and black.
White quinoa is available in most stores including Kroger and Walmart.
Quinoa flakes and quinoa flour are also widely available.
The small crop is widely adaptable, thriving in temperatures ranging from -8 degrees Celsius to 38 degrees Celsius, at sea level or 4,000 meters above. It is not impacted by low moisture.
Dried seeds (quinoa) are coated with a bitter tasting compound. I always rinse before using.
Quinoa is also loaded with carbs. Avoid if you’re on a low-carb diet. Read more about quinoa on Healthline.com.
Warm Breakfast Cereal
- 1/4 cup quinoa (white) See photo.
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 1 large bananas (optional)
- NOTE: For more sweeteness, sprinkle lightly with light brown sugar.
- Pour water into a small saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, pour 1/4 quinoa into a small strainer. Remove dark pieces/debris. Rinse thoroughly in warm water. See recipe notes.
- Pour rinsed quinoa into boiling hot water and stir.
- Cover with lid. Simmer over low-medium heat until all water is absorbed. Quinoa cooks quickly. Watch closely to prevent burning.
- Fluff with fork. Add 1-1/2 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk. Stir until evenly combined.
- Cool and taste. If desired, add remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk.
- Top with a sliced banana (optional). Serve hot or warm.