Smooth Hard Boiled Eggs are boiled to perfection.
Their whites and yolks are firm (not mushy).
The shells peel off easily… without sticking to the whites.
Very easy to make.
EDITOR’S NOTE (August 27, 2022): I posted this recipe for the first time on September 21, 2021. Today, I updated the text to make it easier to understand.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse pictured products. Delighted to share what I purchased and used to make these eggs.
All comments are my own.
Hard boiled eggs sprinkled with salt and coarse ground black pepper.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A HARD AND SOFT
Hard boiled eggs have a solid yolk and a solid white.
Soft boiled are partially cooked leaving a raw or semi-raw yolk and a soft white. Usually served in an egg cup and eaten with a spoon.
Four eggs (any size), water (not pictured), salt and apple cider vinegar or use white distilled vinegar.
In this recipe, apple cider vinegar or white distilled vinegar are optional ingredients. They do not penetrate the eggs.
My recipe for Hard Boiled Eggs calls for water and salt.
Good to know both “effective” cooking methods
HOW TO MAKE SMOOTH BOILED EGGS
Place eggs in the bottom of a dry saucepan (or pot). Do not “drop” in because they will very likely crack.
COVER EGGS WITH WATER
ADD SALT AND VINEGAR
Use apple cider or white distilled vinegar.
They will not penetrate the eggshell.
BOIL OVER HIGH HEAT
Allow to simmer for at least 10 minutes.
TURN HEAT OFF
After 10 minutes, turn heat off.
Use a slotted spoon to quickly remove each hard boiled egg.
CHILL IN COLD WATER
Place hard boiled eggs in a large bowl. Fill with ice cubes and cold water.
Place bowl uncovered in refrigerator (not freezer) for 30 minutes.
To prevent the green color from forming around the egg yolk, quickly remove boiled eggs from hot water and chill in a bowl filled with ice cubes and cold water.
HOW TO CRACK EGGSHELL
Lightly tap each chilled egg on a flat surface to avoid dents.
Tapping a boiled egg on the side of a bowl, cup or glass will cause deep dents in the egg white.
HOW TO SLICE HARD BOILED EGGS
Gently slice with a sharp, serrated knife. In my opinion, this is the most effective method that doesn’t tear the delicate whites.
The serrated knife leaves a pretty design.
Perfect for making my stuffed Angel Eggs.
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit popular online nutritional calculator myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Smooth Hard Boiled Eggs
4 Smooth Hard Boiled Eggs
- 4 large eggs or use 6 eggs
- water for boiling
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white distilled vinegar optional
- large bowl of cold water and ice cubes 12 ice cubes plus enough cold water to cover boiled eggs
4 Smooth Hard Boiled Eggs
- Carefully place eggs in bottom of medium sized saucepan.
- Cover with water. Add salt
- Add apple cider vinegar or white distilled vinegar (optional).
- Boil vigorously over high heat for 10 minutes.
- While eggs are boiling, place 12 to 24 ice cubes in a large bowl. Fill with cold water. Set aside.
- Use slotted spoon to quickly remove each hard boiled egg from hot water and place in bowl filled with ice and cold water.
- Place uncovered in refrigerator (not freezer) for at least 30 minutes.
- Lightly tap eggs on flat surface to avoid denting egg whites. Avoid tapping on side of bowl, cup or glass.
- Gently peel away eggshells.
- Rinse with cold water (optional).
- Serve immediately or place in container and tightly seal lid. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- TIP: Cut with a sharp serrated knife. It doesn't tear the white and leaves a pretty pattern on the eggs. Perfect for Angel Eggs.