Puff Pastry Sausage Cups are flaky puff pastry shells stuffed with smoked sausage.
Hearty and delicious.
Easy to make with a few ingredients.
Serve as a side or main dish.
Pairs well with Easy Scrambled Eggs and hash browns.
This recipe is a variation of my Puff Pastry Breakfast Cups.
EDITOR’S NOTE (October 16, 2022): I posted this recipe for the first time on August 12, 2020. Today, I added nutritional information. Updated recipe and instructions.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse pictured products.
Delighted to share the ingredients I purchased and used to make Puff Pastry Breakfast Cups. All comments are my own.
WHAT IS PUFF PASTRY?
Puff pastry is a light, buttery, flaky dough used in both sweet and savory dishes. It contains three ingredients: flour, butter and salt.
This flaky pastry rises beautifully without a drop of baking powder or baking soda. No leavening agent required.
The baking technique was perfected in France many years ago.
However, puff pastry is loved worldwide. It’s used to make appetizers, desserts and main dishes.
Read more on spruceeats.com.
SMOKED BEEF SAUSAGE
After cooking, chop into pieces small enough to fit in the puff pastry shell.
Smoked turkey sausage will also work in this recipe.
Mise en place is a super time saver. This French cooking term translates as “putting in place.”
It means prepping/measuring ingredients and chopping food before you start cooking. It’s the perfect way to get organized and avoid missing an ingredient or missing a step in the instructions.
I did not use parchment paper. The cups baked to flaky perfection and did not stick to the pan.
However, you may use parchment paper if desired.
Pastry puff shells are baked whole. Simply remove from package, separate along perforations, place on a baking sheet and bake.
Pictured below are flaky baked puff pastry shells with tops
They are fresh from the oven with a beautiful brown color.
One of the Puff Pastry Sausage Cups stuffed with chopped smoked sausage that was fried until dark brown.
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit popular online nutritional calculator myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Puff Pastry Sausage Cups
- 3 each Puff Pastry Shells
- 1 each smoked beef sausage or use turkey sausage
- honey for drizzling optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Separate puff pastry shells and arrange on ungreased baking sheet. Bake according to instructions on package. I reduced oven temp to 400 (package suggests 425 degrees) for even baking in my oven. Adjust your oven temp if necessary.
- While pastry shells are baking, prepare Smoked Beef Sausage (or turkey sausage)).
- Place whole sausage links (2 per package) in the saucepan. Cover sausage with water. Bring to boil over medium heat. To reduce sodium content, boil for 2 minutes. Flip over and boil 2 additional minutes.
- Drain and discard water. Pat sausage links dry with paper towels. Split in half
- Wipe skillet dry with a thick towel. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over pan. Warm over medium heat.
- Fry split sausage links for about 3 minutes on each side until a light brown crust forms. Remove heat. Pat dry with paper towels. Chop into small pieces that will fit into the pastry cups. Set aside.
- Remove pastry shells from oven. Allow to cool 5 minutes. Remove tops from pastry cups. If tops look thick on bottom, return tops to HOT oven for 5 minutes.
- Stuff hallow shells with chopped smoked sausage.
- Serve hot.
- Drizzle each serving with honey (optional).