Pineapple Angel Food Cake is made with just two ingredients.
It’s a light, refreshing and delicious dessert.
Pairs well with ice cream, fresh fruit and whipped cream.
EDITOR’S NOTE (March 10, 2022): See video tutorial at end of page.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse any of the pictured products. Delighted to share what I purchased and used to make this delicious dessert.
All comments are my own.
MY INSPIRATION FOR THIS RECIPE
I read a lot of wonderful comments about this cake in my online food group. I searched google for more info and discovered Betty Crocker’s Two-Ingredient Pineapple Angel Food Cake recipe.
Decided to give it a try. Turned out great. I “adjusted” the recipe by adding helpful baking tips. I also baked the cake in an ungreased tube pan instead of the standard angel food cake pan with the removable center.
I suggest using a name brand of crushed pineapples in this recipe.
The taste is MUCH better than most generic brands.
Over the years, I’ve used generic and name brand crushed pineapples to make my Pineapple Dump Cake.
As a result, I discovered some generic brands are very sour which affects the cake’s taste. The name brands always taste good and have a brighter color.
Something to think about when buying crushed pineapples for this recipe (or any recipe).
BAKING PAN SUGGESTIONS
Pineapple Angel Food Cake can be baked in a 10-inch round, metal pan with a hollow tube in the middle, and a removable center/bottom.
The official name of this type of cake pan is angel food cake pan.
Or bake it in a 12-cup tube pan like the one I used. Photos below.
HIGH ALTITUDE BAKING TIPS (3500-6500 ft.)
The following instructions are printed on back of the cake mix box:
Do not use 9″ loaf pans. Stir 1/3 cup cornstarch into dry cake mix. Beat on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Bake in an angel food cake pan for 45-55 minutes.
MOVE OVEN RACK TO LOWEST POSITION
Move oven rack to the lowest position in the oven so the cake will not touch the top rack and to keep it from getting too dark (burnt).
HOW TO BAKE CAKE IN 9×13 UNGREASED BAKING DISH
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Pour batter into ungreased 9×13 baking dish. The cake will rise high while baking. It will deflate while cooling.
Top crust will be thicker than bottom crust. See photos of my Peach Angel Food Cake baked in a 9×13 dish.
HOW TO TELL IF AN ANGEL FOOD CAKE IS DONE
A thoroughly baked angel food cake has fully risen in the pan, has a dark golden, brown top covered with cracks that feel dry and not sticky.
Perfect time to test for doneness.
Gently press the top of the baked cake with your fingertips.
Done if it springs back.
If your fingers leave an indentation, return the cake to the oven and bake longer. Read more here.
Follow instructions printed on the cake box (pictured below).
Calories and nutritional information not included with recipes on this site.
A popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Pineapple Angel Food Cake
- 1 box (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapples in juice Do not drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour angel food cake mix into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour crushed pineapples in juice over the cake mix.
- Using an electric mixer, beat on low for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Use a long spatula or spoon to scrape bottom of bowl and around sides to make sure both ingredients are well combined.
- Pour into an ungreased 10-inch angel food pan or tube pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- HOW TO TEST TO SEE IF IT'S DONE: A thoroughly baked angel food cake has fully risen in the pan, has a dark golden-brown top covered with cracks that feel very dry, not sticky. This is the perfect time to test to see if it's done. Gently press top of baked cake with your fingertips. If it springs back, the cake is fully baked. If your fingers leave an indentation, bake 10 minutes longer. Watch carefully to prevent overbaking and burning.
- Cool completely upside down for 2 hours (as directed on side of cake mix box).
- Gently push a rubber spatula around edges or use hand to gently pull cake away from sides of pan.
- Turn cooled cake out onto serving plate. Slice with a sharp serrated knife.
- STORAGE TIP: Wrap cake in Saran wrap and store in refrigerator.