Parmesan Roasted Asparagus is a flavorful side dish that’s easy to make with simple ingredients.
Pairs well with my Pan Seared T-Bone Steak and a variety of other mains.
EDITOR’S NOTE (May 14, 2022): Original recipe published April 20, 2020.
Updated tips, recipe and photos will be available May 15, 2022. Please check back.
Asparagus is a green vegetable that comes from the Asparagaceae family. This vegetable is known for its slender spears which are
According to the USDA, about 29,200 acres of asparagus were harvested in the United States in 2009.
The small scales on the tips of asparagus spears are actually leaves.
Greener (or whiter) asparagus is more tender than thin spears.
All commercially grown asparagus is harvested by hand and not with special machinery.
Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus About 25-30 large spears.
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 each fresh lemons sliced into wedges. for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Snap or cut off thick end of each spear.
- Wash asparagus in warm salty water. Rinse thoroughly in warm water. Pat dry.
- Place in a single layer on a sheet pan or deep baking dish.
- Combine salt, black pepper and olive oil in a small cup or bowl. Drizzle over asparagus. Toss until evenly coated.
- Roast thick asparagus for 15 minutes or until desired tenderness. Roast thin asparagus for 10 minutes to keep the spears firm. Roast too long and they'll get mushy.
- After reaching desired tenderness, remove from oven and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Return to oven for a minute or until cheese melts.
- Serve hot. Garnish with lemon wedges (optional).