Mixed Baked Beans contain a mix of 15 beans in a smoky-sweet barbecue sauce.
Serve as a side dish my Roasted Spatchcock Herb Chicken.
Also pairs well with burgers and hotdogs.
Mixed Baked Beans can easily be upgraded to a hearty main dish by adding smoked sausage, ground turkey or ground beef.
CLICK HERE TO PIN ON PINTEREST.
Please check back for link.
EDITOR’S NOTE (October 31, 2022): I published this recipe for the first time on September 17, 2019. At the time, it was 15 Bean Smoked BBQ Sausage Soup.
Today, I changed the name to Mixed Baked Beans.
The complete updated recipe will be available Friday, November 4, 2022. Please check back.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse pictured products.
Delighted to share the ingredients I purchased and used to make this delicious side dish. All comments are my own.
THE MAIN INGREDIENT
For this recipe, I suggest using a bag of dry 15 Bean Soup (pictured).
HOW TO PREPARE MIXED BEANS
Prepare mixed beans per instructions printed on package.
HOW TO SORT DRY BEANS
Never pour dry beans directly from the bag into the pot.
Dry beans are a natural agricultural product. Despite using modern cleaning equipment, foreign material and grains may get into the package.
They’re easy to inspect and sort. Simply pour dry beans into a large bowl or spread out on a flat surface.
Carefully search for foreign particles. Discard whatever you find.
HOW TO RINSE DRY BEANS
After inspecting, rinse thoroughly.
My favorite method is to place a colander in a large bowl… and sit both in the sink.
OVERNIGHT SOAK METHOD
For this recipe, I suggest the overnight soak method because it reduces gas and makes cooked beans easier to digest.
SIMMER UNTIL FIRM (NOT MUSHY)
Simmer mixed beans in water without salt or meat until firm (not mushy).
The smaller beans will be softer than the larger ones.
They will absorb the seasonings and soften a little more while baking in the oven.
PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR UPDATED RECIPE AND INSTRUCTIONS.
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit popular online nutritional calculator myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Mixed Baked Beans
MIXED BAKED BEANS (PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR UPDATED RECIPE)
- 1 package (20 ounces) 15 Bean Ham Soup, cooked I use Hurst's Ham Beens Brand:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jarred jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 3-1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup smoked barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke (divided)
- salt more or less as preferred
- coarse ground black pepper more or less as preferred
- Prepare beans according to instructions printed on package. I suggest the overnight soak method.
- Simmer beans in water without salt or meat, until large beans are firm (not mushy). The small beans will be soft.
- After simmering, drain mixed beans and set aside. Reserve liquid.
- Grease 9x13 casserole dish with 2 tablespoons unsalted butter.
- Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes with lid on pot. Stir carefully to avoid breaking beans.
- Taste. If desired, add remaining brown sugar and smoked barbecue sauce and a dash or two of Tabasco sauce.
- Serve hot.