This hearty Homemade Chicken Salad is loaded with chicken, onions, boiled eggs, and sweet salad cubes in a creamy dressing.
Easy to make. Serve in a lettuce bowl or sandwiched between toasted wheat bread. Enjoy for lunch or dinner.
EDITOR’S NOTE (March 11, 2022): Added three new photos.
DISCLOSURE (SPONSORED IN 2018): I first published this recipe February 25, 2019. At that time, I made it with a complimentary jar of sweet salad cubes provided by Mt. Olive Pickles.
I have not been paid to endorse their products.
All comments are my own.
A KEY INGREDIENT
Sweet salad cubes provide a bit of crunch and lots of flavor.
WHITE MEAT CHICKEN VS. DARK MEAT
White meat, found in the breasts and wings, contains about 10% red fibers. This part of the chicken is lean and mild in flavor and dries out easily if overcooked.
Dark meat chicken contains around 50% red fibers and is found in chicken legs, which are juicy and tastier.
Mt. Olive Sweet Salad Cubes add color and delicious flavor. The salad cubes are cut larger and are crunchier than sweet relish.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SWEET SALAD CUBES & SWEET RELISH?
Relish and sweet salad cubes are condiments made with diced cucumbers, diced red bell peppers and other ingredients.
They have a similar taste.
The difference is their textures. Sweet relish is smooth.
Salad cubes are made with a larger cut than relish, giving them a crunchier texture.
USE MAYO OR MIRACLE WHIP
WHAT IS MAYONNAISE?
Mayonnaise is a delicious combination of fat and water held in suspension by an egg. The egg works like a magnet, bonding the fat from the oil and the liquid from the vinegar (or lemon juice).
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), anything labeled as “mayonnaise” must contain 65% vegetable oil by weight.
WHAT IS MIRACLE WHIP?
Miracle Whip is sweeter and spicier than mayo.
When it comes to nutrition, Miracle Whip contains about half the fat and calories as compared to mayonnaise.
Perfect for anyone who counts calories.
Fresh iceberg lettuce topped with Homemade Chicken Salad.
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit
popular online nutritional calculator, myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Homemade Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped dark or white meat Rotisserie or baked. I used dark meat.
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped Red, white or yellow onions.
- 2 large boiled eggs, chopped
- 2-1/2 tablespoons sweet salad cubes OR sweet relish
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery (optional)
- 2-1/2 tablespoons Miracle Whip or mayonnaise Add more or less.
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard Add more or less.
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika for garnish (optional) A light sprinkle adds pretty color.
- 6 each Ritz Crackers for garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. If desired, add 1/4 cup (or more) of chopped apples, seedless grapes, raisins, pecans OR walnuts.
- If desired, spread on toasted wheat bread. Add lovely color by sprinkling with paprika and ground black pepper (optional).
- Add a delicious crunch by topping with Ritz Crackers (optional).