Creamed Spinach is easy to make at home with simple ingredients.
It contains fresh spinach leaves in a savory, creamy sauce.
Pairs well with roasted chicken, baked ham and roasted turkey.
EDITOR’S NOTE (November 9, 2021): Updated the recipe and the instructions. Tastes better than original recipe posted in January 26, 2020.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse pictured products. Delighted to share the ingredients I purchased and used. Delicious results!
SPINACH PREPARATION TIPS
I used a 16-ounce bag of spinach leaves to make this recipe.
Always use bagged spinach within 2 days because the leaves are still fresh.
After 3 days or so, the leaves tend to get wet and soggy inside the bag.
RINSE SPINACH IN WARM WATER
I rinse bagged spinach simply because I like to rinse my own veggies.
To rinse, place spinach leaves in a colander. Rinse in warm water. Leave in colander to drain.
Be sure to dry spinach leaves by placing in a towel and ringing until thoroughly dry.
This super important step will keep the side dish creamy and NOT watery.
SPINACH BUYING TIPS (BAGGED OR FRESH)
Avoid yellow, limp, or wilted leaves.
Avoid buying packaged spinach leaves with slimy or yellow leaves.
Always check the expiration or “best if used by” date.
CREAMED SPINACH: HOW TO MAKE AHEAD
First, allow it to cool completely uncovered.
Store cooled Creamed Spinach in a tightly sealed container.
Place in refrigerator (not freezer) for up to five days.
In a saucepan on top of stove, warm over low-medium heat.
- 1 package (16 ounces) spinach leaves Rinse, drain and dry in a towel.
- 1 cup whole milk Or 2% milk.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt to taste
- coarse ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pour spinach leaves into a colander. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- Leave colander in sink so spinach can drain. After draining, place leaves in a clean towel and ring until dry. This will prevent water from getting into the Creamed Spinach. Continue with next steps.
- Heat milk and cream in a small saucepan over moderate heat. Stir constantly with a whisk until warm. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, melt unsalted butter over low-medium heat. Add chopped onions. Stir continuously until softened (4-5 minutes).
- Stir in minced garlic.
- Add sifted flour. Whisk together for 3 minutes to form a roux.
- Add warm milk and cream mixture in a fast stream. Simmer AND whisk constantly until thickened (3-5 minutes). Whisking prevents lumps from forming.
- Stir in rinsed/dried spinach, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt and coarse ground black pepper to taste.
- Simmer and stir constantly until spinach is limp (2-3 minutes).
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese (optional).
- Serve immediately.