Cheese Toast is made by melting cheddar cheese on top of toasted buttery bread.
Sliced bread is toasted on both sides to give the Cheese Toast a satisfying crunch mixed with gooey, melted cheese.
Quick and easy to make with just three ingredients… in a skillet on top of the stove.
Be sure to check out my Pepperoni Pizza Toast.
EDITOR’S NOTE (May 12, 2022): Published the original recipe on July 31, 2019. Today, I updated the recipe, instructions, added helpful tips, and new photos.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse pictured products.
Delighted to share the ingredients I purchased and used to make this recipe.
All comments are my own.
Original photo (dated July 31, 2021) shows Cheese Toast topped with melted shredded cheddar cheese.
PREPARE CHEDDAR CHEESE
Cheese Toast cooks quickly in a skillet on top of the stove.
Before starting, slice or shred a small block (8 ounces) of cheddar cheese.
Arrange on cutting board or drop it in a bowl
Place close to the stove.
Not all slices will be used to make this toast.
Save leftovers for another use.
My recipe calls for sandwich bread to be toasted on both sides in a skillet with melted butter… on top of the stove.
The following easy steps show you how to do it.
MELT BUTTER (SALTED OR UNSALTED) IN SKILLET
Place 2 tablespoons of butter (salted or unsalted) in a skillet over medium heat on top of the stove. This is for 2 slices. Use more or less as preferred.
COAT BOTH SIDES SANDWICH BREAD IN MELTED BUTTER
Use a spatula to slide bread around skillet to absorb melted butter (or margarine).
Flip over and repeat to coat second side.
BROWN ONE SIDE OF SLICED BREAD AND FLIP OVER
Brown one side of buttered bread over medium heat (30 to 35 seconds).
Do not leave stove to avoid burnt toast.
FLIP OVER & REDUCE HEAT TO LOW
After reducing heat, quickly arrange cheddar cheese on top of toasted side.
SERVE WARM OR HOT
GRILLED CHEESE VS. CHEESE TOAST
A grilled cheese sandwich is melted cheese sandwiched between two slices of bread. The sandwich is fried in a frying pan or on a griddle coated with melted butter or margarine.
Although it is a sandwich, it is commonly referred to as a Grilled Cheese… instead of Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Cheese Toast is melted cheddar cheese on a single slice of toasted bread.
Cheese Toast is very filling. Perfect for breakfast or lunch.
Also pairs well with a Easy Scrambled Eggs.
Calories and nutritional information not included with recipes on this site.
A popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
- 1 block (8 ounces) cheddar cheese, slice in preferred thickness Save leftover cheese for another use.
- 2 tablespoons salted or unsalted butter or margarine
- 2 slices honey wheat sandwich bread or your favorite sandwich bread
- Place sliced cheddar cheese (from block) or shredded cheddar cheese in a bowl close to the stove.
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter (salted or unsalted) in a skillet over medium heat on top of the stove. This is for 2 slices. Use more or less as preferred.
- Use a spatula to slide bread around skillet to absorb melted butter. Flip over and repeat until second side is also coated.
- Leave face down to brown over medium heat (30 to 35 seconds).
- Flip over. Reduce heat to low. Quickly arrange cheddar cheese on top of toasted side.
- HELPFUL TIP: If the thick cheese doesn't completely melt, use a spatula to flip over into the HOT skillet for 2 to 3 seconds. Quickly turn heat OFF.
- Flip over after cheese has completely melted.
- Serve warm or hot.