Broccoli Cheese Soup is creamy, cheesy, hearty, and delicious comfort food. Perfect for lunch or dinner.
Easy to make with simple ingredients.
Although it tastes good immediately after preparation, this soup is MUCH better after 24 hours in the fridge (not freezer).
This recipe calls for sifted all-purpose flour. To get an accurate measurement, it’s important to sift all-purpose flour before measuring to remove hard particles and to lighten the flour.
Always spoon sifted flour into a measuring cup. Dipping it into the flour will “pack” in too much.
Too much flour will make the soup pasty with an unpleasant taste.
HOW TO PREVENT GRAINY SOUP
Store-bought shredded cheese creates a grainy texture in cream soups. The problem is caused by the anti-clumping agent (usually cellulose) that keeps the shredded cheese from sticking together.
Use cooked fresh (pictured) or frozen broccoli in this recipe.
Add cooked and chopped dark or white chicken. Use baked or rotisserie for the best flavor. Tastes amazing!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add more or less as preferred.
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper Add more or less as preferred.
- 1 cup whole milk Or use 2% milk (lighter taste).
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup chicken broth Homemade or canned. Homemade adds amazing flavor.
- 1 cup cooked chopped fresh or frozen broccoli
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese Plus extra for garnish (about 1/2 cup).
- In a small saucepan, melt unsalted butter. Add chopped onions. Stir continuously until onions are tender and translucent.
- Add sifted all-purpose flour, salt and pepper. Whisk together until evenly combined.
- Turn heat OFF. Gradually add milk, heavy cream and chicken broth. Slowly bring to a boil over low-medium heat. Whisk together until thickened (about 2 minutes).
- Add broccoli. Stir until thoroughly heated.
- Remove from the heat. Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- This soup is delicious immediately after preparation. However, for best results refrigerate 24 hours (not in freezer). After preparing, allow soup to cool. Place in a container. Seal with a lid or foil. Refrigerate 24 hours. Warm before serving.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese on top of each serving. This step is optional.