Sweet Potato Stuffed Cornbread Muffins have a center filled with creamy sweet potatoes.
The cornbread and sweet potatoes are delicious together.
EDITOR’S NOTE (May 2, 2022): I first published this recipe June 23, 2019. Today, I updated the recipe’s instructions to make them easier to understand. New photos will be available soon. Please check back.
MY INSPIRATION FOR THIS RECIPE
These muffins are a combination of two recipes.
Since it tasted great, I decided to make this recipe for you and many others to enjoy.
HOW TO STUFF MUFFINS WITH SWEET POTATOES
Allow muffins and sweet potato filling to cool.
Remove muffins from tin. Flip them over.
Use a teaspoon to carefully remove center from the bottom of each muffin.
Scoop lightly to avoid touching top or sides.
Save the “scoop” to use as a plug.
Place a teaspoon of mashed sweet potatoes in the center of each muffin.
Plug hole with the “reserved scoop” removed from bottom of each muffin.
Flip each muffin over before serving.
Make a pretty presentation with toasted marshmallows on top of each muffin.
Here’s how to make ’em…
Place stuffed muffins in muffin tin.
Top with mini marshmallows.
Place muffin tin under broiler for 30 seconds or until golden brown.
Watch closely to prevent burning. Serve in a dessert glass or bowl.
Serve in a dessert bowl or glass.
Calories and nutritional information not included with recipes on this site.
A popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Sweet Potato Stuffed Cornbread Muffins
Jiffy Cornbread Muffins
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mx, sifted
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour, sifted See recipe notes for all-purpose flour.
- 1/4 cup corn muffin mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional) I suggest using sugar for this recipe.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil cooking spray Or use vegetable oil to grease muffin tin.
Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes
- 3 orange-fleshed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- mini marshmallows for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In medium-sized mixing bowl, combine cornmeal mix, flour, sugar, beaten eggs, and buttermilk. Stir until batter is smooth. Set aside 10 minutes so muffins will form a round top while baking.
- Thoroughly grease bottom and sides of a 6-cup muffin tin with vegetable oil cooking spray or grease each cup with 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil.
- Reduce oven temp to 375. Bake 20-25 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- While muffins are baking, prepare sweet potato filling.
Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes
- Wash and pat dry sweet potatoes. Peeling is optional. If not peeling, simply cut off dark spots.
- Slice whole sweet potatoes into circles (or wedges if preferred). Should be at least 1/4" thick. Arrange slices in a single layer on bottom of un-greased baking dish. Set aside.
- Drizzle 1/4 of melted butter over slices. Flip over to coat both sides. Cover with foil.
- After baking cornbread muffins, reduce oven temp to 350. Bake sweet potatoes for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining melted butter, brown sugar and nutmeg. Stir until brown sugar is dissolved.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven. Drizzle with butter and brown sugar mixture. Flip over sweet potatoes to coat both sides.
- For soft texture, cover with foil. For firm texture, remove foil. Continue baking 15 minutes OR until tender.
Stuff Cornbread Muffins
- Allow muffins and sweet potatoes to cool.
- Flip muffins over. Use a teaspoon to carefully remove center from bottom of each muffin. Scoop lightly to avoid touching top or sides. Save "scoop" to use as a plug.
- Place a teaspoon of mashed sweet potatoes in center. Plug hole with "reserved scoop" removed from bottom of each muffin.
- Flip each muffin over before serving.