Homemade Salad Mix in a Bag is a make ahead recipe idea. Preferred ingredients are enclosed in a zippered bag and refrigerated until ready to use.
This idea is perfect for picky eaters. Fill the bag according to personal preference.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse any pictured product.
Delighted to share what I purchased and used to make this delicious recipe. All comments are my own.
KEEPS WELL IN FRIDGE
Place ingredients in a zippered bag. Store several in the fridge.
This is a smart and effective strategy for anyone determined to eat healthy or maintain a diet.
Homemade Salad Mix in a Bag truly saves time for this busy food blogger.
When it’s time to eat, whip out a bag, add salad dressing and enjoy!
Some of the mix-ins should be placed in a smaller zippered bag or container before adding to the large Homemade Salad Mix in a Bag.
- Smooth Hard Boiled Eggs (Chopped)
- Chopped Onions, Cremini Mushrooms
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped Ham, Pepperoni Pieces
- Favorite Salad Dressing
- Fruit (Apple Slices, Tangerines, Grapes, etc.)
- Nuts (Cashews, Pecans, Walnuts)
- Croutons, Ritz Crackers, Saltines
- Grated Carrots
WHAT ARE CREMINI MUSHROOMS?
The cremini mushroom is a moderately mature version of the white button mushroom and has a similar flavor. Younger than the portobello which is why they’re also sold as “baby bella” or “baby portobello” mushrooms.
Cremini mushrooms have a dark brown color, firmer texture, and taste better than white mushrooms (my opinion).
Store tightly zippered bag of veggies without dressing in the fridge (not freezer) for up to 3 days.
Pairs well with your favorite creamy dressing and Stovetop Mini Flapjacks.
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit popular online nutritional calculator myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Homemade Salad Mix in a Bag
Homemade Salad Mix In A Bag
- 2 quart size zippered bags
- 4 cups lettuce torn into small pieces
- 24 halved cherry tomatoes (sliced in half) Use more or less as preferred.
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, whole or chopped Use more or less as preferred.
- 1 cup carrots, shredded Use more or less as preferred
- 1 cup white onions, chopped Use more or less as preferred.
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped About 1 whole cucumber.
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded crumbled blue cheese or grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup corn kernels (optional) Use more or less as preferred.
- 1 cup walnuts (optional) Use more or less as preferred
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, drained (optional) Use more or less as preferred.
Homemade Buttermilk Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 small garlic clove, smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
Homemade Salad Mix In A Bag
- Open ONE zippered bag.
- Add more or less of each ingredient: 1 cup of torn lettuce, 12 halved tomatoes (grape or cherry), 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms, 1/2 cup shredded carrots, 1/2 cup chopped onions, 1/2 cup cucumbers, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup corn kernels (optional), 1/2 cup walnuts (optional), 1/2 cup pineapple chunks (optional).
- Zip bag until sealed. Shake to evenly distribute ingredients (optional).
- Repeat instructions for second Homemade Salad Mix In A Bag.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 days without dressing. When ready to eat, pour contents in a medium bowl and drizzle with salad dressing. Serve with crackers or croutons.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl or jar. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.
- NOTE: This dressing is thick. When mixed in with the salad, it will automatically thin a little. However, if you prefer a pourable dressing, add 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon of milk. Whisk until well combined.