Homemade Egg Salad makes a savory side dish or light meal.
Drop a big scoop between toasted wheat or white bread and enjoy for breakfast (yeah), lunch or dinner.
Quick and easy to make with simple ingredients.
EDITOR’S NOTE (August 27, 2021). Updated recipe’s instructions.
Check out my recipe for hard boiled eggs. The egg shells slide off easily.
Although sweet relish is a popular ingredient, I like to use sweet salad cubes. They taste like sweet relish.
The difference is the pickles are “cubed” instead of smooth and are slightly crunchy. They add a pleasant texture and pretty color.
Use your favorite pickles in this recipe. Sweet relish and sweet salad cubes are both good options.
What’s the difference between brown and white eggs?
According to bestfoodfacts.org, white eggs are laid by chickens with white feathers and white ear lobes.
Brown eggs are laid by red-feathered chickens with red ear lobes. These chickens are larger in body size than white-feathered chickens. They require more feed which is why brown eggs are more expensive.
How To Read & Follow A Recipe: Tips for Beginners
Reading a recipe is an important life skill that requires properly reading a recipe’s ingredients, and instructions. Plus, knowing how to prep ingredients and what equipment to use.
Start with clean hands and organized kitchen. Wash hands thoroughly. Make sure kitchen and countertops are clean before making a recipe.
Create a relaxing environment. Play favorite music while in the kitchen. I love listening to classical or gospel music.
Read the entire recipe so you understand it and to make sure you have each ingredient.
If you see ingredient that you and your family don’t use for whatever reason, use a substitute.
Watch Recipe Videos. If you’re a visual learner (like me), watching a video tutorial is a great way to see how a recipe is made.
Mise en place is a super time saver. This French cooking term translates as “putting in place.” It means prepping/measuring ingredients and chopping food before you start cooking.
Make notes in your recipe. Note any special prep instructions and highlight cooking times.
Make note of ingredients omitted, favorite substitutions and creative twists. The notes will be very helpful the next time you make this recipe.
Crackers topped with homemade egg salad make a lovely presentation. Serve as an appetizer or side dish.
Homemade Egg Salad
- 8 medium eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 1/4 cup mayo or use Miracle Whip
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard or use dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup white onions, chopped green or red onions
- 1/4 cup sweet relish, drained or use sweet salad cubes
- salt to taste
- coarse ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, optional use for garnish
- Peel hard boiled eggs and coarsely chop.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine chopped eggs, mayo, mustard, celery (if using), drained sweet relish (or sweet salad cubes), chopped onions, salt and coarse ground pepper as preferred.
- Stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle top with paprika or coarse ground black pepper (optional).
- Serve warm or cold.
- Store leftovers in a tightly lidded container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.