Homemade Egg Salad makes a savory side dish or light meal.
Drop a big scoop between toasted wheat or white bread and enjoy for breakfast (yeah), lunch or dinner.
Tastes amazing! Easy to make with simple ingredients.
EDITOR’S NOTE (September 5, 20222). I posted this recipe for the first time on May 4, 2020. Today, I updated the text to make it easier to understand and added one new photo.
My Smooth Hard Boiled Eggs are perfect for making Homemade Egg Salad.
USE SWEET RELISH OR SWEET SALAD CUBES
Although sweet relish is a popular ingredient, I like to use sweet salad cubes. They taste like sweet relish.
The difference is the pickles are “cubed” instead of smooth and are slightly crunchy. They add a pleasant texture and pretty color.
Use your favorite pickles in this recipe. Sweet relish and sweet salad cubes are both good options.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BROWN & WHITE EGGS?
According to bestfoodfacts.org, white eggs are laid by chickens with white feathers and white ear lobes.
Brown eggs are laid by red-feathered chickens with red ear lobes. These chickens are larger in body size than white-feathered chickens. They require more feed which is why brown eggs are more expensive.
Create an appetizer by placing a scoop of egg salad on top of a Ritz cracker.
Crackers topped with homemade egg salad make a lovely presentation. Serve as an appetizer or side dish.
Homemade Egg Salad
- 8 medium eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 1/4 cup mayo or use Miracle Whip
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard or use dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup white onions, chopped green or red onions
- 1/4 cup sweet relish, drained or use sweet salad cubes
- salt to taste
- coarse ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, optional use for garnish
- Peel hard boiled eggs and coarsely chop.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine chopped eggs, mayo, mustard, celery (if using), drained sweet relish (or sweet salad cubes), chopped onions, salt and coarse ground pepper as preferred.
- Stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle top with paprika or coarse ground black pepper (optional).
- Serve warm or cold.
- Store leftovers in a tightly lidded container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.