Crunchy Banana Bread Muffins are moist and loaded with banana flavor.
The crunchy “vegetarian” topping adds texture and a delicious nutty taste.
Easy to make from scratch with simple ingredients.
No nuts in this recipe. Scroll down for more details about the topping.
This is a variation of my Banana Cake Muffins.
CLICK HERE TO PIN ON PINTEREST.
Please check back for the link.
THE DRY INGREDIENTS
This recipe calls for 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
CAKE FLOUR (OPTIONAL)
Consider replacing 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour with 1/2 cup of cake flour. It will make the muffins so soft and tender that they melt in the mouth.
MAKE SURE BAKING SODA IS ACTIVE BEFORE USING
A key ingredient in Homemade Banana Bread is fresh baking soda.
If the baking soda has been sitting in the pantry for a month or two, test it to make sure it’s active… before using.
Drop 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar.
A vigorous fizzle means it’s fresh and ready to use.
Do not use if it fizzes lightly or not at all.
“NUT-FREE” CRUNCHY TOPPING
The crunchy topping is made with Roasted Garbanzos/Chick Peas
that have been crushed into small pieces. Tap link to access the easy recipe.
Chickpeas (or chick peas) are also known as garbanzos or garbanzo bean. They come from a plant and are classified as a legume.
Considered to be both a vegetable and a protein because they’re so nutritious. Many consider them to be a superfood. Read more here.
Sprinkle top of batter with 1-1/2 teaspoon of crushed Roasted Garbanzos/Chick Peas.
Sprinkle over a few muffins or all of them. Perfect for families with picky eaters.
Place thoroughly cooled muffins in a container with a tight lid and refrigerate. Please note the crunchy topping will soften when refrigerated.
READY TO EAT!
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit not popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator. No need to type each ingredient.
Crunchy Banana Bread Muffins
- 1 muffin tin with 6 cups
- 1 cup all-purpose flour sifted, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 cup cake flour (or all-purpose flour) sifted, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 each overripe bananas peeled
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extra Not imitation vanilla flavor.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- vegetable oil cooking spray to grease muffin tin
- 1 cup roasted garbanzos/chickpeas crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium bowl, combine all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup cake flour (or use all-purpose flour). Make sure flour is sifted, spooned and leveled.
- Add baking soda and salt. Thoroughly combine with a dry whisk.
- Add overripe bananas (peeled), one beaten egg, pure vanilla extract, and unsalted butter (melted). Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Grease 6 or 12-cup muffin tin with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Add batter to each cup until 3/4 full (about 2-1/2 tablespoons of batter).
- Sprinkle top of batter with 1-1/2 teaspoon of crushed Roasted Garbanzos/Chick Peas. Sprinkle over a few muffins or all of them. Perfect for families with picky eaters.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until muffins are dark brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack or large serving plate.