Cream Cheese Pound Cake is buttery, moist and delicious.
Easy to make with a box of yellow cake mix and a few additional ingredients.
Pairs well with fruit, ice cream and whipped cream.
EDITOR’S NOTE (December 21, 2021): Added seven new photos and a 2-ingredient glaze recipe. Updated baking instructions to make instructions easier to understand.
DISCLOSURE (SPONSORED IN 2018): The first time I made this recipe back in 2018, I used a complimentary box of Betty Crocker yellow cake mix provided by General Mills.
I requested complimentary boxes. The company shipped promptly.
I’ve never been paid to endorse their products, nor any product pictured on this page.
All comments are my own.
WHAT IS A POUND CAKE?
According to wikipedia.org, a pound cake is a made with a pound of each of flour, butter, eggs, and sugar and baked in a loaf or Bundt pan.
Technically, this recipe is not a pound cake. The weight is my inspiration for the name.
This recipe is a variation of an Almond Cream Cheese Pound Cake from Genius Kitchen. Be sure to read my tweaks and helpful tips.
I used vanilla extract instead of almond extract and added a glaze.
1/2 cup water, 4 medium eggs, pure vanilla extract, 1 package cream cheese (8 ounces), 1 stick unsalted butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar
KEY INGREDIENT: YELLOW CAKE MIX
NO-STICK BAKING SPRAY WITH FLOUR
This the brand I used to thoroughly grease a standard Bundt pan.
Quick and easy. No mess. Love it!
THE CLASSIC GLAZE
Cream Cheese Pound Cake drizzled with a classic glaze or use a lemon-flavored glaze.
Easy to make with powdered sugar and whole milk.
TANGY LEMON GLAZE
A tangy Lemon Glaze is made with confectioners sugar and fresh lemon juice.
HOW TO CHECK A POUND CAKE FOR DONENESS
A pound cake is done when a knife (not a toothpick) is pressed in center all the way down until it lightly touches the bottom.
A toothpick only pierces the top because it’s too short to touch the bottom.
Use a knife or a long wooden skewer instead.
Gently press knife to bottom of pound cake to avoid scratching bottom of the pan.
If the knife comes out clean, the pound cake is done.
IMPORANT COOLING TIP
After removing from oven, allow cake to cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before removing.
The release will be smooth. Portions of cake will not stick to side of pan.
Although Cream Cheese Pound Cake tastes great warm, it tastes MUCH better after 24 hours in the fridge.
MAKE CUPCAKES WITH THIS RECIPE
Be sure to check out my recipe for Cream Cheese Cake Mix Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting.
You’re invited to check out my these popular dessert recipes…
Calories and nutritional information not included with recipes on this site.
A popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- vegetable oil Use to grease Bundt pan. Or use no-stick cooking spray.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese Use full fat cream cheese (softened).
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract Almond extract OR lemon extract.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted Or use 1/2 cup vegetable oil.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 box yellow cake mix Or a box (15.25 ounces) of yellow butter cake mix.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk Plus 1 teaspoon of whole milk (optional).
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Use a folded paper towel soaked in vegetable oil to thoroughly grease a standard bundt pan OR spray it with no-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine cream cheese (softened), 1/2 cup sugar, 4 eggs, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. With mixer on low speed, mix together until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute).
- Add 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter (or vegetable oil), 1/2 cup of water and cake mix. With mixer on low speed, mix together just until combined (about 2 minutes). Batter will be thick and creamy.
- Pour or spoon batter into prepared 6-cup bundt pan. Smooth top with back of spoon. Batter will not fill pan. Leaves room for cake to rise.
- Bake 40-45 minutes OR until top springs back when lightly pressed. Or press a knife in center all the way down touching bottom. If it comes out clean, cake is done. Never use a toothpick because it's only pierces the top part the cake.
- Cool 30 minutes before turning out onto a large plate. The release will be smooth. Portions of cake will not stick to side of pan.
- Although Cream Cheese Pound Cake is delicious warm, it tastes MUCH better after 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- HOW TO REFRIGERATE: Place cooled Cream Cheese Pound Cake in a large container and seal shut with a lid. Refrigerate 24 hours. Cold cake tastes AMAZING!
- HOW TO WARM COLD CAKE SLICES: After 24 hours in the fridge, slice pound cake. Length of warming time in microwave depends on thickness of each slice. Start with 3-5 seconds on high. Repeat if necessary.
- In medium bowl, combine powdered sugar and whole milk. Stir until well combined. If desired, add an additional 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of milk for a thinner consistency.
- Drizzle glaze on cooled (or cold) Cream Cheese Pound Cake.
- In a medium bowl, stir together powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice until smooth. The glaze should be thick and pourable.
- Taste a sample. To achieve desired consistency and tang, add more confectioners sugar and/or fresh lemon juice.
- Drizzle glaze on cooled Cream Cheese Pound Cake.