Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix Cookies have a soft, cake-like texture and LOTS of chocolatey flavor.
These cookies are easy to make with a box of chocolate fudge cake mix and a few additional ingredients.
EDITOR’S NOTE (December 18, 2021): Updated baking instructions so they’re easier to understand.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED). I have not been paid to endorse any of the pictured products.
Delighted to share the ingredients I purchased and used to make this delicious recipe.
In my adjusted version, the cookie dough is chilled because it doesn’t spread while baking, is less sticky and very easy to manage.
I also added chocolate coated candies and chopped walnuts.
COOKIE BAKING TIPS
Bake 11 to 15 minutes OR until soft and puffy.
When the cookies are done, they’ll look like they are not done.
The baked cookies firm up slightly while cooling.
Avoid over baking because the cookies will get dry if left too long in the oven.
After removing from oven, quickly place cookies on a cookie rack or large platter to cool.
If left on the cookie sheet, they will continue to cook… and get dry.
Be sure to check out Cream Cheese Cake Mix Cookies. They are easy to make and one of the top ten recipes on my blog!
Perfect for the holidays or any occasion.
HELFPUL TIPS FOR NEW BAKERS
Read the entire recipe to make sure you have each ingredient.
Watch the video tutorial (shown below to see how this recipe is made.
Mise en place is a super time saver. This French cooking term translates as “putting in place.” It means prepping & measuring ingredients before you start.
Make notes in your recipe of favorite substitutions, creative twists and mix-ins (candies, pecans, raisins, walnuts, etc.).
Notes will be helpful the next time you make these cookies.
Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened Do not use margarine.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) chocolate fudge cake mix I used a box of "Super Moist Chocolate Fudge" cake mix.
- 1/2 cup crumbled chocolate candies (optional) I used a small package (1.69 ounces) of M&M's . Use more if desired.
- 1/2 cup crumbled fresh walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In medium sized bowl, combine softened cream cheese, softened butter, egg, and vanilla extract (if using).
- Using a large spoon or an electric mixer, cream together until smooth.
- Pour in dry cake mix. Use a sturdy spoon to stir together until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls or larger if preferred.
- Use an ungreased cookie sheet OR line it with parchment paper.
- Roll each ball in crumbled walnuts or crumbled chocolate candies. Flatten slightly.
- Place 1" apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake 11 to 15 minutes OR until soft and puffy. Baked cookies will be very tender and look like they're not done. They "slightly" firm up while cooling. Avoid over baking because it makes the cookies dry.
- After removing from oven, quickly place cookies on a cookie rack or large platter to cool. If left on the hot cookie sheet, they will continue to cook... and get dry.
- Makes 20 to 24 cookies depending on size.
- Store cookies in a container with an airtight lid. Keep refrigerated.