Delighted to share one of my favorite savory side dishes that I like to make when the urge hits! I measured the ingredients so I could share with you.
This side dish consists of fresh (or canned) tomatoes and rice cooked to desired tenderness in chicken stock. Seasoned with Bay leaves, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper. Pairs well with fried chicken, meatloaf and baked turkey wings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Bay leaves Or use 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 medium red tomatoes, diced Or use 2 cans (14.5 ounces each).
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over low-medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and sauté gently for about 10 minutes or until semi-translucent.
- Add Bay leaves, dried oregano and chopped tomatoes. Stir until well combined. Cook for about 5 minutes or until tomatoes break down and release their juices.
- Add rice, chicken stock and season with salt and ground black pepper as preferred. Boil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Cover with lid. Reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes without removing lid.
- After cooking, lift the lid and taste to check the seasoning. If desired, cook longer until desired tenderness. Add 1/4 cup of chicken stock if necessary.
- Fluff up the cooked rice. Cover with lid and let stand for a couple of minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano (optional).