Spoon Bread is a soft cornbread souffle that’s full of corn, cheddar cheese, and sour cream enclosed in a delicious cornbread crust.
This side dish, also known as corn pudding, is served and eaten with a spoon.
Pairs well with Smoky Collard Greens.
EDITOR’S NOTE (September 24, 2022): I posted this recipe for the first time on June 28, 2018. Today, I edited the info to make it easier to understand and added nutrition details. Recipe is the same.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse any pictured products.
Delighted to share the products I purchased and used to make this delicious recipe. All comments are my own.
Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, unsalted butter, yellow whole kernel corn sweet corn, yellow cream style sweet corn, chives, sour cream, cheddar cheese, two eggs and salt.
THE SOUR CREAM
This recipe calls for one cup of sour cream. It’s the same as a one 8-ounce container of sour cream.
Delicious served hot.
HOW TO STORE & REHEAT
Place spoon bread in a tightly sealed container. Store in refrigerator.
For best results, warm in preheated oven (400 F) for 5-10 minutes.
Pairs well with chicken, barbecue, meatloaf, pork chops, and taco meatloaf,
Calories and nutritional information not included with recipes on this site.
A popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 box (8.5 ounces) corn muffin mix
- 1 can (14.75 ounces) yellow cream style corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) yellow whole corn drained
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a baking dish or a deep dish pie pan with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Set aside. NOTE: Use either one of these two casserole baking dishes: 11" x 8.5" x 1.8" OR 9.5" x 7.5" x 2".
- In a medium sized bowl, combine remaining melted butter, corn muffin mix, both cans of corn, eggs, sour cream, chopped chives (if using), salt, and shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Pour into buttered baking dish.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve hot.