Southern Green Beans are packed with savory flavor. Use this recipe when you need to make a quick and easy side dish to serve with barbecue or any meal.
Pairs well with a variety of mains.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse pictured products.
Delighted to share the ingredients I purchased and used to make this delicious recipe.
All comments are my own.
Thoroughly rinse canned or frozen green beans before using.
This simple step helps them taste much better when seasoned and cooked.
Calories and nutritional information not included with recipes on this site.
A popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Southern Green Beans
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces per can) cut green beans, drained
- 3-4 strips bacon, uncooked
- 1/4 cup yellow (sweet) or white (savory) onions, chopped I use yellow (sweet).*
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- *For more flavor, sprinkle another 1/4 cup chopped onions over top of green beans while simmering. This step is optional.
- Empty green beans into a colander to drain. Rinse thoroughly under running water. Set aside.
- Fry bacon in a dutch oven or saucepan until crispy.
- Remove bacon. Remove grease from saucepan. Keep drippings (brown crispy pieces stuck to bottom).
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and onion. Stir constantly over low heat until onions are soft.
- Add rinsed green beans and water.
- Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until water looks like soup. Do not stir to avoid breaking the tender green beans.
- Crumbled cooked/cooled bacon. Sprinkle over top of green beans.
- Serve hot.