Pizza Toast contains mouthwatering pizza toppings on a toasted slice of bread.
It’s slathered with tomato sauce, popular pizza toppings and mozzarella cheese.
Hearty and delicious.
Enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
CLICK HERE TO PIN ON PINTEREST.
Link available shortly.
EDITOR’S NOTE (May 2, 2022): Updated information to make it easier to understand.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse pictured products.
Delighted to share the ingredients I purchased and used to make this delicious recipe.
All comments are my own.
THE MAIN INGREDIENT: SLICED BREAD
Use your favorite sliced bread. I used Honey Wheat.
KEY TO CRISP BREAD: TOAST IT ON BOTH SIDES
Lightly toast both sides of bread before adding the toppings.
This simple step will keep the bread crisp after slathering on the red sauce.
Although cooked ground beef and mozzarella cheese are key ingredients, they can be changed to whatever you prefer.
Delicious alternatives are pepperoni pieces, grilled onions, grilled green peppers, black olives, and cheddar cheese.
MY INSPIRATION FOR THIS RECIPE
It was my desire for a quick meal to satisfy hunger after editing recipes for this blog.
I took a short break and whipped up this Pizza Toast.
It was soooo good.
Delighted to share the recipe with you.
WHO INVENTED PIZZA?
Baker Raffaele Esposito from Naples is often given credit for making the first pizza pie. However, historians claim street vendors in Naples sold flatbreads with toppings many years before then.
Italian King Umberto I and Queen Margherita visited Naples in 1889 and asked Esposito to make them a pizza. He topped the pizza with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil. Today, that pizza is still known as Pizza Margherita.
Salad, fries, potato chips, corn chips, garlic bread, bottled water.
Calories and nutritional information not included with recipes on this site.
A popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted or use margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder optional
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 each sliced bread wheat, white or preferred brand
- low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup jarred pizza sauce more or less as desired.
- 2 cups chopped/cooked smoked sausage Drain in paper towels before using.
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- grated parmesan cheese optional
- red pepper flakes for garnish optional
- In medium bowl, combine melted butter, garlic powder (if using), onion powder (if using) and Italian seasoning. Melt butter or margarine in a large cast iron skillet or pan over low-medium heat.
- Brush both sides of sliced bread with butter mixture. You will have 4 slices of "buttered" bread. Coat 4 slices of bread on both sides with melted butter.
- Place four slices in a large pan on top of stove. "Lightly" brown over low-medium heat.
- Flip over. Toast until "light" golden brown (about 1 minute). Turn OFF heat.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese over top of each slice of bread.
- Top with 2-3 tablespoons of jarred pizza sauce.
- Top with about 3 tablespoons of cooked/scrambled ground beef. Add more or less if desired.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded mozzarella cheese. Add more or less if desired.
- Carefully place 4 slices of pizza toast in an ungreased cookie sheet or use an ungreased baking pan.
- Place under broiler for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Watch closely to prevent edges of toast from burning.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese (optional) and sprinkle with red pepper flakes (optional). Serve hot.