EDITOR’S NOTE (April 5, 2019): Text edited for clarity.
Flapjacks are thin rounds of cornbread fried in a skillet. They look like pancakes. Taste like cornbread. In this recipe, flapjacks are topped with caramelized pineapples and Maraschino cherries. Drizzled with pineapple-brown-sugar glaze. Excellent side dish with bacon, barbecue, collard greens, or fried chicken. Easy to make with a few ingredients.
I’m always brainstorming for creative cornbread recipes. After seeing several recipes for Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes in magazines and on Pinterest, I was inspired to make a variation using flapjacks. Awesome results.
Enjoy the recipe!
Pineapple Upside Down Flapjacks
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple rings in juice plus 2 tablespoons pineapple juice from can (optional)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour, sifted See recipe notes for all-purpose flour.
- 1/4 cup corn muffin mix
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 jar (6 ounces) Maraschino cherries Drain before using. Juice is delicious over ice!
- In a large skillet, melt butter over low heat. Add brown sugar. Stir constantly until melted. Carefully add pineapple rings. Simmer until caramelized. If desired, add 2 tablespoons pineapple juice from can to make a thinner glaze. Turn off heat. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine cornmeal mix, flour, corn muffin mix, 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar, eggs, and buttermilk. Stir together until smooth and pourable. Small lumps okay. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to a 10" skillet. On top of stove over low heat, slowly preheat oil until it sizzles. Avoid smoking hot. 4. Again, stir batter until smooth. Carefully pour into hot skillet. Wear an oven mitt or use a thick towel to pick up HOT skillet's HOT handle. 5. Reduce oven to 375. Bake 20 to 25 minutes OR until knife inserted in center comes out clean and cornbread is golden brown. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
- Drop 1/4 cup of cornbread batter into hot skillet. Spread thin with back of measuring cup. Cook until edges/top look dry.
- Place a pineapple ring in center of flapjack. Place a Maraschino cherry in center of pineapple. Flip over. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Use a rubber spatula to remove pineapple syrup from skillet. Drizzle over each flapjack before serving.
- Serve hot.