EDITOR’S NOTE (November 15, 2019): Added two new photos. Edited text for clarity.
Pico de gallo [ˈpiko ðe ˈɣaʎo] is a fancy name for Mexican salsa. This colorful appetizer contains chopped tomato, onion, fresh cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
Serranos and jalapeños are optional ingredients. Traditional salsa has a thinner consistency with more liquid. Pico de gallo is chunky with each chopped ingredient clearly visible. Pairs well with corn chips, crackers and potato chips.
Pico de Gallo
Pico de Gallo is colorful and delicious. Excellent with corn chips, potato chips, and crackers. Superb in tacos. Recipe and photography by Beverly Davis for CornbreadMillionaire.com.
- 2 large red onions, chopped
- 10 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 fresh jalapenos, ribs and seeds removed Keep a few seeds/ribs if heat is preferred
- 1 lime
- ground black pepper (optional)
- Place chopped onions, tomatoes, and cilantro in a bowl.
- If using jalapeno, remove all seeds and ribs for a hint of heat. For more heat, keep a little of both.
- Squeeze 1/2 of lime over mixture. Add a salt and ground black pepper (if using). Mix together. Taste. Add more of each ingredient if desired.
- If desired, refrigerate one hour before serving.