Lettuce Tomato Salad is a popular southern side dish that contains crisp iceberg lettuce, juicy sliced tomatoes tossed in a creamy mayo salad dressing, seasoned with salt and coarse ground black pepper.
This easy recipe is quick and easy to make with a few simple ingredients.
CLICK HERE TO PIN ON PINTEREST.
Please check back for the link.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse pictured products.
Delighted to share the ingredients I purchased and used to make this delicious salad.
All comments are my own.
PREPARE THE LETTUCE
Iceberg lettuce adds as pleasant fresh, crisp texture to this salad (or any salad) in my opinion. This recipe calls for 4 cups torn into medium size pieces.
To prepare the lettuce, remove and discard two outside layers and the core.
Wash the lettuce under running “cold” water.
Pat dry with paper towels before cutting or tearing into medium sized pieces.
Refrigerate in a covered bowl until ready to serve.
SLICE THE TOMATO
This recipe calls for one large tomato sliced into thin strips.
I sliced one large tomato into thin circles, and sliced
the circles into thin strips as shown in the photo below.
If preferred, chop the slices into smaller pieces.
HELPFUL STORAGE TIP
Store prepared lettuce and sliced tomatoes in separate bowls.
Cover with a lid and refrigerate until ready to serve.
When the salad is served with the dressing, the lettuce will be crisp.
THE CREAMY MAYO SALAD DRESSING
Lettuce Tomato Salad in a creamy mayo salad dressing has been a popular side dish in the south for many years.
The creamy dressing contains mayonnaise or mayonnaise salad dressing seasoned with salt and coarse ground black pepper or fresh ground black pepper.
I love the taste of both Miracle Whip Mayo & Tangy Dressing and use a LOT of coarse ground black pepper.
Use your preferred amounts of the seasonings.
HOW TO ADD THE DRESSING TO THE SALAD
Start by adding 1 tablespoon of dressing to the salad. Stir until well combined.
If you prefer a thicker coating over the veggies, add more dressing until satisfied.
SUGGESTIONS: DELICIOUS TOPPINGS
The following toppings will take the salad to another level of deliciousness:
Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced onions, shredded cheddar cheese, toasted croutons.
Make it a hearty meal by adding crumbled cooked bacon, chopped fried fish (boneless) or grilled chicken strips.
Calories and nutritional information not included with recipes on this site.
A popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Lettuce Tomato Salad
- 4 cups iceberg lettuce in medium size pieces Make sure lettuce is washed and dried with paper towels.
- 1 large red tomato, sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise salad dressing (chilled) Or use mayonnaise.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Or use your preferred amount.
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper Or use your preferred amount.
- Place chopped (or torn) lettuce pieces and sliced tomatoes in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, combine "chilled" mayonnaise (or mayonnaise salad dressing), salt and coarse ground black pepper in a small bowl. Stir together until well combined.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of dressing over lettuce and sliced tomatoes. Toss until well combined. Add more dressing if desired.
- Serve immediately.