EDITOR’S NOTE (September 5, 2019): See recipe video posted on my Facebook fan page.
I love to experiment with cornbread because it is versatile. In this recipe from my imagination, thin rounds of fried cornbread are “stuffed” with cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese and chopped jalapenos (jarred). Savory and delicious!
Before frying, place stuffing ingredients (includes chopped jalapenos) and vegetable oil next to stove for quick access. Flapjacks fry quickly which means toppings must be added quickly. The ingredients are not mixed into the cornbread batter so you can add more or less of each as preferred. Great for family’s with picky eaters.
Jalapeno Cheese Stove Top Cornbread
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour, sifted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 jarred jalapeno peppers, whole Jarred jalapenos have less heat than fresh.
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- 5-6 slices pepper jack cheese
- vegetable oil for frying
- In medium sized bowl, combine flour, cornmeal mix, 2 beaten eggs, and buttermilk.
- Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Chop 4 jarred jalapeno peppers into small pieces.
- Place chopped jalapenos, cheddar cheese and shredded cheese next to stove for quick access. Cornbread fries fast!
- Pour 2 tablespoons of veggie oil into an 8" cast iron skillet or preferred cookware.
- Warm over low heat until sizzling hot. To test, drop in a dot of cornbread batter. Ready if edges fry quickly and turn golden brown.
- To make about 6 large flapjacks, use 1 cup of cornbread batter for each one. To make smaller flapjacks, pour in 1/2 cup of batter for each one.
- Pour 1 cup (or 1/2 cup) of cornbread batter into skillet with hot oil. Quickly scatter pieces of pepper jack cheese (from 1 slice) over top, 2-3 tablespoons of shredded cheese and 2 tablespoons of chopped jalapeno peppers.
- Over low heat, cook 3-4 minutes OR until edges look dry and have turned golden brown.
- Flip over. Fry another 2-3 minutes OR until cheese is melted and the flapjack is golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- After frying each flapjack, quickly pour 1-1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into hot skillet. Warm 1-2 minutes over low heat.
- Repeat process until all batter has been fried.
- Serve hot.