Easy French Toast is loaded with protein and buttery flavor.
Quick and easy to make with simple ingredients.
Enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
CLICK HERE TO PIN (UPDATED RECIPE).
Please check back for link.
EDITOR’S NOTE (MAY 28, 2022): I posted this recipe for the first time on July 20, 2018. Since that time, I’ve created a new, improved version which I’ve personally enjoyed several different times. Delighted to provide the updated recipe and instructions below. Also added new photos and helpful tips.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse pictured products.
Delighted to share the ingredients I purchased and used to make this delicious recipe.
All comments are my own.
FRENCH TOAST FACTS
According to the Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink, French toast originated in France, where it is known as “amerite” or “pain perdu” (lost bread).
What’s lost bread? Originally, French toast was made from stale bread that would otherwise been thrown away.
The phrase “French toast” first appeared in print in the Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink in 1871.
According to JustFunFacts.com, French toast is a dish made of sliced bread soaked in eggs and milk, then fried (usually in unsalted butter).
Alternative names include Spanish toast, German toast, nun’s toast, eggy bread, torrija, poor knights of Windsor, Bombay toast and several others.
EASY FRENCH TOAST: THE INGREDIENTS
Three large eggs, coarse ground black pepper, pure vanilla extract and heavy whipping cream.
Not Pictured: Cinnamon (optional ingredient) and unsalted butter (or use margarine).
Easy French Toast is an excellent recipe for what or white sandwich bread.
I use fresh or slightly stale.
Melt unsalted butter or margarine in a large skillet over low-medium heat. When it melts, turn heat off.
In a medium bowl, add eggs, vanilla extract, heavy whipping cream, coarse ground black pepper, and ground cinnamon (if using). Whisk together until well combined.
QUICKLY coat each bread slice one at a time in the egg mixture. Flip over to evenly coat both sides. Do not allow bread to sit in the mixture because it will get too soggy.
This recipe calls for three slices of bread. Cook one at a time OR cook all three in a single layer in large skillet with melted unsalted butter. Pour leftover egg mixture over bread.
Cook over low-medium heat 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Cook over low-medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Use a spatula to flip over. Cook again 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
Top each hot serving with pieces of fully cooked smoked sausage.
Drizzle with melted butter, honey, maple syrup or use my Homemade Maple Pancake Syrup.
Calories and nutritional information not included with recipes on this site.
A popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Easy French Toast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional) Or use ground nutmeg.
- 3 slices honey wheat sandwich bread French or white bread.
- honey or maple syrup For drizzling.
- Melt unsalted butter (or margarine) in a large skillet over low-medium heat. After it melts, turn heat off.
- In a medium bowl, add eggs, vanilla extract, heavy whipping cream, coarse ground black pepper, and ground cinnamon (if using). Whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- QUICKLY coat each bread slice one at a time in the egg mixture. Flip over to evenly coat both sides. Do not allow bread to sit in the mixture because it will get too soggy.
- Cook each slice one at a time or carefully arrange all three in a single layer in skillet with melted butter. Pour leftover egg mixture over bread. Over low-medium heat, cook 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Use a spatula to flip over. Cook again 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and place on plate. Use knife to cut pieces apart.
- Serve hot. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup.