Buttery sweet potatoes seasoned with brown sugar and nutmeg. This delicious dessert or side dish pairs well with cabbage and Smoky Collard Greens.
The easy recipe is from my imagination. I’ve made this dish for years without measuring ingredients.
I was inspired to measure and create a formal recipe after making some for my dear aunt who LOVES sweet potatoes. We both like ’em for dessert or as a side dish with collard greens!
Enjoy the recipe!
Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes
Buttery sweet potatoes seasoned with brown sugar and nutmeg. This delicious dessert or side dish pairs well with cabbage and collards. Recipe and photography by Beverly Davis for CornbreadMillionaire.com.
Servings: 3 servings
- 3 orange-fleshed sweet potatoes Rinsed and wiped dry.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted Melted and divided.
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and pat dry sweet potatoes. Peeling is optional. If keeping peel, simply cut off dark spots.
- Slice whole sweet potatoes into circles (or wedges if preferred). Should be at least 1/4" thick. Arrange slices in a single layer on bottom of un-greased baking dish. Set aside.
- Drizzle 1/4 of melted butter over slices. Flip over to coat both sides.
- Cover with foil. Bake 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining melted butter, brown sugar and nutmeg. Stir until brown sugar is dissolved.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven. Drizzle with butter and brown sugar mixture. Flip over sweet potatoes to coat both sides.
- For soft texture, cover with foil. For firm texture, remove foil. Continue baking 15 minutes OR until tender.
- Serve hot.