Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread contains seasoned broccoli and cheddar cheese enclosed in a deep brown crust.
This delicious savory side dish is easy to make with simple ingredients.
FRESH BROCCOLI & CHEDDAR CHEESE (MEDIUM)
These star ingredients provide amazing flavor in
Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread.
PREPARE FRESH BROCCOLI
This recipe calls for 1 cup of fork-tender, seasoned fresh broccoli.
To prepare, first rinse 12 -14 fresh broccoli florets.
Place in medium saucepan. Cover with water.
Simmer over medium-high heat until fork tender.
Drain thoroughly. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper. Adjust amounts as preferred.
Frozen broccoli is a good substitute. Follow directions on the package.
SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE
I shredded a block of cheddar cheese (medium) until I had one cup.
Medium tastes better than mild in my opinion.
If medium is too strong for you, use mild.
WHAT IS SELF-RISING CORNMEAL MIX?
Store-bought self-rising cornmeal mix is perfect for this recipe.
It contains cornmeal, flour and other ingredients.
THE CORNBREAD BATTER
Stir ingredients together until well combined.
Thoroughly bake bottom and side crusts by always
preheating vegetable oil until sizzling hot…
before adding cornbread batter.
HOW TO PREHEAT VEGETABLE OIL
1. Warm 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a 9″ or 10″ cast iron skillet over low-medium heat until sizzling hot (5 minutes).
2. It’s hot enough when a “dot” of batter dropped in center sizzles.
3. If it doesn’t sizzle, warm 3 more minutes and try again.
THOROUGHLY BAKED BOTTOM & SIDE CRUSTS
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit popular online nutritional calculator is myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix plus two additional tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour sifted, spooned and leveled
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup broccoli, cooked (see recipe notes) Fork-tender & seasoned with salt & coarse ground black pepper.
- 1 cup whole cultured buttermilk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded medium
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In medium bowl, combine cornmeal mix, flour (sifted, spooned, leveled), cooked broccoli, shredded cheddar cheese, one large egg and 1 cup of buttermilk.
- Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Drop two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a 9" or 10" cast iron skillet. Warm over low-medium heat until sizzling hot (not smoking hot). After 5 minutes, test to make sure it's hot enough by dropping a "dot" of batter into the center. If it sizzles, add the cornbread batter. If it doesn't sizzle, heat 3 more minutes and try again.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Bake 20 to 25minutes OR until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot!
- Rinse 12-14 fresh broccoli florets in warm water. Cut off thick portion of stems.
- Place rinsed/chopped broccoli in a medium saucepan. Cover broccoli with water.
Boil over medium-high heat until fork tender (8-10 minutes).
- Remove broccoli from heat. Drain thoroughly. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper (optional). Adjust seasonings as preferred.