Apple Cherry Dump Cake is tasty dessert that contains a yellow cake crust on top of sweet cherries and apples.
It’s easy to make with just six ingredients.
Pairs well with vanilla ice cream or real whipped cream.
Perfect for potlucks or any time you need a quick dessert.
EDITOR’S NOTE (September 20, 2022): I published this recipe for the first time February 15, 2020. Today, I added a new photo and updated the info to make it easier to understand.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse pictured products. Delighted to share the ingredients I purchased and used to make this delicious dessert.
All comments are my own.
WHAT IS A DUMP CAKE?
A dump cake is made by dumping all of the ingredients into the baking pan rather than first mixing them in a bowl.
Popular ingredients are canned fruit and canned pie fillings (or fruit), flavoring, a yellow cake mix and a stick of unsalted butter. The butter is cut up and dotted over the top before baking.
According to FoodTimeline.org, the earliest reference to a dump cake is from a Duncan Hines holiday baking brochure published in 1980.
One of the ingredients in the topping is one box (15.25 ounces) of yellow cake mix.
Additional ingredients are: one stick of unsalted butter (not margarine), apple pie filling, and cherry pie filling.
Apple pie filling is well seasoned with cinnamon. No need to add more cinnamon before baking… unless you prefer a LOT of cinnamon flavor.
No additional sugar required in this recipe because the yellow cake mix is sweet enough.
Although some dump cake recipes call for two sticks of unsalted butter, I prefer one stick because the cake crust is firm, not mushy.
HOW TO TELL WHEN A DUMP CAKE IS DONE?
A dump cake is considered done, when the top is bubbly and golden brown.
However, I like to scoop out a small spoon full. If the cake looks like batter underneath, return to oven for 10 minutes.
You’re invited to check out my Pineapple Dump Cake, one of the top ten recipes on this blog.
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit popular online nutritional calculator, myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Apple Cherry Dump Cake
- 1 can (21 ouces) cherry pie filling
- 1 can (20 ounces) apple pie filling
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided From one small lemon.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup (or 1 stick) unsalted butter, cold Do not use margarine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dump cherry pie and apple pie into a 9x13 buttered baking dish. Sprinkle fresh lemon juice and vanilla extract over fruit. Use a spoon to spread mixture evenly around pan.
- Dump (or sprinkle) cake mix evenly over fruit mixture in baking dish. Dot all over with pieces of cold unsalted butter (1 stick). Do not use margarine.
- Bake 20 minutes. Carefully remove HOT baking Carefully remove HOT baking dish from HOT oven. Use back of spoon to lightly spread melted butter evenly over cake mix until all of mix is coated with butter. Do this so entire top crust will be buttery (no dry cake crumbs). This step is optional.
- Return to oven. Bake 20-25 more minutes or until bubbly and top cake crust is bubbly and golden brown. To further test for doneness, remove a small spoon full. If the cake looks like batter underneath, return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Superb with vanilla ice cream or real whipped cream.