Mixed Baked Beans
Mixed Baked Beans contain a mix of 15 beans in a smoky-sweet barbecue sauce. Serve as a side dish or upgrade to a hearty main dish by adding smoked sausage, ground turkey or ground beef. Recipe and photography by Beverly Davis for CornbreadMillionaire.com.
Prep Time1 day d
Cook Time10 minutes mins
Total Time1 day d 10 minutes mins
Course: Side Dish
Keyword: #mixedbakedbeans, sidedish
Servings: 12 servings
MIXED BAKED BEANS (PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR UPDATED RECIPE)
- 1 package (20 ounces) 15 Bean Ham Soup, cooked I use Hurst's Ham Beens Brand:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jarred jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 3-1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup smoked barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke (divided)
- salt more or less as preferred
- coarse ground black pepper more or less as preferred
Prepare beans according to instructions printed on package. I suggest the overnight soak method.
Simmer beans in water without salt or meat, until large beans are firm (not mushy). The small beans will be soft.
After simmering, drain mixed beans and set aside. Reserve liquid.
Grease 9x13 casserole dish with 2 tablespoons unsalted butter.
Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes with lid on pot. Stir carefully to avoid breaking beans.
Taste. If desired, add remaining brown sugar and smoked barbecue sauce and a dash or two of Tabasco sauce.