My Cornbread Sandwich contains smoky turnip greens, sliced tomatoes and chopped onions sandwiched between crusty sliced cornbread. Recipe and photography by Beverly Davis for CornbreadMillionaire.com.
Servings: 6 sandwiches
- 6 slices baked cornbread sliced into wedges or squares
- slices tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked turnip greens more or less as desired
- 3 cups cooked collard greens more or less as desired
- 1 cup onions, diced more or less as desired
- hot sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup pot liquor for dipping
Cut a hot pan of baked cornbread into 6 wedges or squares.
Add a layer of warm cooked turnips or collard greens (drained) to each wedge.
Top with sliced tomatoes, chopped onions, salt and black pepper and a dash of hot sauce (if using).
Serve sandwich with a small cup of pot liquor for dipping.
Makes a tasty side or light meal.