Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread
Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread contains seasoned broccoli and cheddar cheese enclosed in a deep brown crust.
This delicious savory side dish is easy to make with simple ingredients. Recipe and photography by Beverly Davis for CornbreadMillionaire.com.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix plus two additional tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour sifted, spooned and leveled
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup broccoli, cooked (see recipe notes) Fork-tender & seasoned with salt & coarse ground black pepper.
- 1 cup whole cultured buttermilk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded medium
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In medium bowl, combine cornmeal mix, flour (sifted, spooned, leveled), cooked broccoli, shredded cheddar cheese, one large egg and 1 cup of buttermilk.
Stir until well combined. Set aside.
Drop two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a 9" or 10" cast iron skillet. Warm over low-medium heat until sizzling hot (not smoking hot). After 5 minutes, test to make sure it's hot enough by dropping a "dot" of batter into the center. If it sizzles, add the cornbread batter. If it doesn't sizzle, heat 3 more minutes and try again.
Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
Bake 20 to 25minutes OR until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
HOW TO MAKE SEASONED BROCCOLI
Use in Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread
- Rinse 12-14 fresh broccoli florets in warm water. Cut off thick portion of stems.
- Place rinsed/chopped broccoli in a medium saucepan. Cover broccoli with water.
Boil over medium-high heat until fork tender (8-10 minutes).
- Remove broccoli from heat. Drain thoroughly. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper (optional). Adjust seasonings as preferred.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 220kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 466mg | Potassium: 151mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 367IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 218mg | Iron: 1mg