Baked Macaroni and White Cheddar Cheese is mighty good comfort food. Easy to make with simple ingredients that include shredded white cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese (optional) and regular cheddar cheese for a bit of pretty color.
Although this side dish has white cheddar and white mozzarella cheese, a 3/4 cup of orange cheddar cheese (optional) adds pretty streaks of pretty color.
My “surprise” ingredient makes this mac and cheese creamy, cheesy and delicious! No need to add flour as a thickener.
Baked Macaroni and White Cheddar Cheese is a variation of Homemade Macaroni and Three Cheeses which is one of the Top 5 recipes on this blog.
DISCLOSURE: This is not sponsored. I purchased each ingredient. Delighted to share pictured products with you.
What is white cheddar cheese?
Sharp white cheddar is the same as the classic deep orange version. The only difference is color.
Cheddar is the most popular cheese in the United Kingdom and second-most popular (behind mozzarella) in the United States.
Cheddar is a firm, sharp-tasting cheese made from natural cow milk.
The color of cow milk ranges from white to deep yellow. The color depends on what the cows were fed, their breed, and the amount of cream in the milk.
Cheese producers started adding vegetable dyes to their milk as far back as the 17th century to control the color of their cheese.
Most New England cheddar producers favor the natural white cheddar cheese. However, cheese makers in the Midwest and elsewhere tend to use annatto, a plant extract of the achiote tree, to give their cheese the classic orange color. It’s used to make cheeseburgers, grilled cheese sandwiches, macaroni and cheese.
Annatto does not alter the flavor, texture, or aroma of cheese.
Baked Macaroni and White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1-1/4 cup buttermilk I use whole cultured.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional) Add more or less if desired.
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (optional) Add more or less if desired.
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella/provolone cheese, shredded I used a packaged combination.
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare elbow macaroni according to instructions printed on box. Simmer until al dente (easily pierced with a fork). Over cooking will create mushy macaroni. Avoid.
- Drain macaroni. Pour drained macaroni into 9x13 buttered baking dish (I used a dutch oven). Add unsalted butter and stir until melted.
- Stir in beaten egg, buttermilk and seasonings. Add shredded white cheddar cheese, shredded mozzarella/provolone cheese and shredded cheddar cheese (if using).
- Stir until well combined.
- baked for 15 to 17 minutes OR until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot. Sprinkle with paprika before serving (optional).