Baked Macaroni and White Cheddar Cheese is mighty good comfort food.
Easy to make with simple ingredients.
Be sure to check out my Homemade Macaroni and Three Cheeses.
CLICK HERE TO PIN ON PINTEREST.
DISCLAIMER (NOT SPONSORED): I have not been paid to endorse pictured products.
Delighted to share what I purchased and used to make this side dish.
All comments are my own.
The five ingredients pictured are: unsalted butter, shredded white sharp cheddar cheese, mozzarella and provolone cheese (low-moisture), one egg, and elbow macaroni. Buttermilk not pictured.
WHAT IS WHITE CHEDDAR CHEESE?
Sharp white cheddar cheese is the same as the classic dark yellow-orange cheddar cheese. The only difference is color.
Cheddar cheese has a sharp cheesy taste. It’s made with natural cow milk.
The cow milk’s color ranges from white to deep yellow.
The color depends on what the cows were fed, their breed, and the amount of cream in the milk.
Cheese producers started adding vegetable dyes to their milk as far back as the 17th century to control the color of their cheese.
Most New England cheddar producers favor the natural white cheddar cheese. However, cheese makers in the Midwest and elsewhere tend to use annatto, a plant extract of the achiote tree, to give their cheese the classic orange color. It’s used to make cheeseburgers, grilled cheese sandwiches, macaroni and cheese.
Annatto does not alter the flavor, texture, or aroma of cheese.
To obtain calories and nutritional information by weight, visit
popular online nutritional calculator myfitnesspal.com.
Copy recipe link in the address bar and add it to their calculator.
No need to type each ingredient.
Baked Macaroni and White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1-1/4 cup buttermilk I use whole cultured.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional) Add more or less if desired.
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (optional) Add more or less if desired.
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella/provolone cheese, shredded I used a packaged combination.
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare elbow macaroni according to instructions printed on box. Simmer until al dente (easily pierced with a fork). Over cooking will create mushy macaroni. Avoid.
- Drain macaroni. Pour drained macaroni into 9x13 buttered baking dish (I used a dutch oven). Add unsalted butter and stir until melted.
- Stir in beaten egg, buttermilk and seasonings. Add shredded white cheddar cheese, shredded mozzarella/provolone cheese and shredded cheddar cheese (if using).
- Stir until well combined.
- baked for 15 to 17 minutes OR until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot. Sprinkle with paprika before serving (optional).